Relocating an office can be a much bigger project than you think. Without careful planning, it can cause many headaches and affect your work for weeks or months to come. However, if you take the time to plan ahead, it can actually be smooth and ordered process that can improve how your office functions. Over at LanLogic.com they have an excellent article covering just what steps you need to take when preparing to relocate. Below are three main areas you may want to consider:
- Have you checked prices and availability of services for the new location? Internet, telephone, TV, and security are all common services you need to keep in mind.
- What technical requirements will there be? Data cable runs to each office, locations for shared resources such as printers and fax machines, and is there a good server room available?
- Will you need to hire help for the move or setup of your existing equipment?
Plan the move
- Work out responsibilities for each person to ensure everything goes smoothly. Who will be packing, unpacking, and organizing everything?
- What time restrictions are you working under? A weekend or can the move be completed gradually over several days?
- What will need to be set up first at the new location? Servers, phones, or the people themselves?
Check everything, and then check it again.
- Check with each provider before they leave to ensure everything is working properly. Is the Internet connection up? Do all of the phones work? Can you send faxes?
- Document the new network. By knowing exactly what equipment is installed where and how it is configured you will prevent a lot of issues later when changes or repairs need to be made.
- Test every system thoroughly. Especially the ones not often used you want to know each is working now so you don’t have them down later when you do end up needing them.
By taking the time now to plan ahead, you will save yourself a lot of time and effort later. Call us today if you are planning an office move, and we will be glad to help you make the most of it.