No matter how big or small your business is, you’re never safe from ransomware if you aren’t using top-of-the-line security services. These sneaky malware attacks can cause severe damage to your brand, bottom line, and customers. They’re also preventable.
Ransomware is a common and potentially disastrous type of malware or damaging software, that can potentially cause a patient data security breach. It accesses computers and then locks the user out until you pay a fixed sum of money —a “ransom.” The programs often sneak onto computers through files you may not see as a threat, and then they lock and encrypt the computer, holding personal and business files hostage until you pay the money.
The stakes are much higher if ransomware attacks a company device. In this scenario, employee and customer data are put at risk, and there’s no guarantee that the affected business will be able to get them back, because the attackers are the only ones who know how to “unlock” the information with the decryption key.
Common ransomware programs include:
- Crypto-malware, which encrypts all of your files. This was the type used in the 2017WannaCry attacks that targeted thousands of major companies using the Windows operating system, demanding cryptocurrency payments to unlock them. · Lockers, which infect Android operating systems and lock users out of their devices, making their files and information completely inaccessible.
- Scareware, which pretends to be an antivirus or computer cleaning tool. Once downloaded, it claims to have located security risks and asks for payment to correct them.
- Doxware, which is also known as “leakware,” hijacks the personal files of users and threatens to release them if no payments are made.
The damage ransomware can cause
The cost of data breaches caused by ransomware goes far beyond stolen data or money. Once such an attack occurs, businesses need to factor in how it will affect sales, brand reputation or dependability, recovery time for affected employees, and even the cost of launching a technical investigation into the matter.
Ransomware is a serious threat in this regard, and most businesses aren’t sufficiently protected from it. Most of the standalone security software used by small businesses aren’t comprehensive or powerful enough to protect you from different types of ransomware. Moreover, some programs don’t include ransomware protection at all. This can lead to serious consequences, such as customer or patient data security breaches, leaked company information, and costly resolution costs.
How to protect against ransomware attacks
If you’re exploring security services to keep your business safe and flourishing, then you’re already on the right track. The answer to how to protect against ransomware attacks is building up a strong prevention plan. Thankfully, ransomware protection is one of the most affordable security services you can get, and it’s highly effective if you’re using an experienced security firm. Using such a firm is the best way to ward off notoriously hard-to-detect ransomware attacks.
This is especially true if you don’t know how to:
- Protect patient data, employee data, and company data from evolving threats.
- Resolve ransomware attacks or prevent them before they start.
- Prevent new security vulnerabilities when introducing new systems and platforms.
Trusting Scale Technology to prevent ransomware attacks
At Scale Technology, our team of technical and security experts knows how to protect you from ransomware attacks and prevent security breaches. This allows you to focus on your business while we handle the rest. Because we specialize in security IT services, we never take our eyes off the evolutions of threats, from WiFi hacking to ransomware attacks. We also provide ransomware attack data recovery and protection when you transition to the cloud.
In this way, we keep prevention plans up to date with the latest security standards while monitoring security backdoors that open as you begin relying on new programs or social media platforms for your business.
Postponing ransomware protection isn’t worth the risk to your business and data. To ensure protection with the most up-to-date IT solutions, contact Scale Technology today at (501) 213-1732.